Saturday, March 31, 2012

I Can See Clearly Now

I have been wearing glasses since I was in the sixth grade. Back then, mothers would tell their children they would go blind from sitting too close to the television set. (They also told them them would go blind if they did something else, but we're not going to talk about that here.) Actually, I think I sat so close to the television set because I already was nearsighted.

Sometime in the past few years, a minor injury to my right eye started the development of a cataract. (Laurie says it was sand while playing volleyball at the beach; Sammi thinks it was when I got hit playing dodgeball at CTY; me, I don't know.) In any event, it reached a point where it seemed like I was looking through frosted glass and needed to be addressed.

After visits to the opthamologist and opthamolic surgeon, the surgery was scheduled.  The procedure was quick and painless and I now have almost 20/20 vision in my right eye for the first time since I was a wee lad.

It feels quite odd to be sitting at the desk without my glasses on, being able to read titles on books in the bookcases as well as the license plate numbers on the cars in the driveway across the street. And I find myself pushing phantom glasses up my nose. But then, fifty-year-old habits are hard to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment