Friday, April 27, 2012

This, That and the Other Thing

I've noticed in the past week that Domino's is advertising "artisan pizzas" and Dunkin' Donuts in hawking "artisan bagels." In a commercial for the latter, one person asks another, "What does artisan mean?" A good question.

From Wikipedia: "An artisan (from Italian: artigiano) or craftsman is a skilled manual worker who makes items that may be functional or strictly decorative, including furniture, clothing, jewelry, household items, and tools or even machines such as the handmade devices of a watchmaker. An artisan is therefore a person engaged in or occupied by the practice of a craft, who may through experience and talent reach the expressive levels of an art in their work and what they create."

With all due respect to anyone who works for Domino's or Dunkin' Donuts, are we really expected to believe that there are "master craftsmen" in your local shop making the pizza and bagels?


**

I'm still getting used to not wearing glasses. I find myself reaching for them when I get out of the shower and trying to take them off when I get into bed.

Friends, family and co-workers are also still adjusting to my "new look." And some are trying to figure out what has changed. At volleyball last week, one of the players realized something was different but couldn't quite figure it out. She asked if I had gotten a haircut.

**

Despite 70-degree temperatures for a stretch in March and also this month, the pool is not yet open. It was originally scheduled for this week -- truth be told, had it been open already, I would have been in it last week -- but we've had a lot of rain and temps only in the 50s.

So it will be opened up next week, with First Dunk 2012 to follow shortly thereafter.

**

According to the counter Blogger has, this is my 200th blog entry. Who would have thought I'd have that much to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment