* My long-time "camp pal" Scott Dodd, who has been our Academic Dean for a decade, wrapped up his final CTY summer. He's heading for a full-year position in his home school district which will preclude his return to Chestertown. We had a very nice retirement dinner for him, along with some fun roasting of the guest of honor.
|"Mr. R" and Scott Dodd (photo by Olivia Maldonado)|
|The CTY 2015 Second Session Instructional Staff|
* Despite some periods of pre-teen angst, my second session students were able to do a second-best-record 86 assignments. These included a wide varieties of poems, fiction exercises, news stories, advertisements, and even tales of a haunted painting in the classroom upstairs.
* During an activity period, a superhero trivia quiz I had intended to run turned into a one-student oration of his personal reviews of every comic book-inspired movie and TV show from the past thirty years. Then he proceeded to tell me what he expects to happen in all the upcoming movies and TV shows, after which the period was (thankfully) over and he had to go back to his dorm.
* The volleyball court we'd been playing on for the past two years got paved over to make way for a new dorm building. Our replacement, a backyard setup of poles and net, just wasn't the same, so our VB playing was seriously curtailed.
* Among the words of wisdom uttered in the classroom:
+ "Do you like cheese on your cheeseburger?"
+ "What other types of persuasive writing are there?" "Verbal?"
+ "Hey, where did my pants go?"
+ "Why are you biting your notebook?"
+ "Algae has to pee too."
+ "Girls are more scientifically prone to lying."